This mode focuses on the ways that texts tell their story.
The following kinds of questions should be asked about the texts being studied:
• How is this story told? (Who tells it? Where and when is it told?)
• Why is the story told in this way?
• What effects do all these have?
• Is there just one plot or many plots? How do these relate?
• What are the major tensions in the texts? Are they resolved or not?
• Was this way of telling the story successful and enjoyable?
• How do the texts compare as stories? •
Is the story humorous or tragic, romantic or realistic?
• To what genre does it actually belong? Is it Romance, Thriller, Social Realism, Saga, Historical, Fantasy, Science-fiction, Satire?
• How do the experiences of encountering a novel, a play (performed), and viewing a film differ?