Appearance versus Reality
Compassion and Reconciliation
The Natural Order
Parent / Child Relationships
Clothing and Nakedness
• Medieval/Renaissance court: absolute power of monarch
• Family context; sibling rivalry brought to its extreme: no mother, no h e i r . . .
• Political intrigue, treachery and betrayal; desire for power excludes most other values
• Aristocratic context . . . However, the ordinary people play a small but significant role, usually positive.
• Few details of the texture of the world are given, e.g. food, clothes, rituals of the day.